Educators lodge at The University of Alabama in Huntsville campus. The dorms are designed as suites, with four persons per suite (non- coed).
Each educator has his/her own sleeping room and shares a bath with one person. A common area, shared with three other educators, offers a refrigerator and microwave. Bed linens are provided, but you are welcome to bring a pillow and/or bath towel from home if space allows in your luggage.
Wireless internet is available. Educators are welcome to bring their laptops, however we do recommend that laptops and other valuables stay in your locked room at the dorm while you participate in the Academy during the day.
Dress for the Academy is casual. Slacks, shorts, and comfortable walking shoes are appropriate. The climate in Huntsville is typically hot during summer, and we suggest dressing in layers for transitioning between air-conditioned areas and the outdoors.
Because you will be hanging from a parachute harness during a water landing simulation, we strongly suggest wearing long shorts. Even if you do not swim, please bring swimming clothes and a beach towel. (Note: While we encourage you to experience all Academy activities, you are not forced to participate in anything you are not comfortable with.)
Women: One piece, conservative suit, with a pair of waterproof type shorts, t-shirt and beach towel.
Men: Long trunk/short like suit (not a “speedo” type) and beach towel.
Other Items to Bring:
- Closed-toed/closed-heeled shoes for simulations
- Camera, extra batteries and film or memory
- Clothes hangers
- Beach towel
- Appropriate water-proof footwear
- Alarm clock
- Money for misc. (E.g., Taxi fare. No stores within walking distance.)
- Sunscreen and hat
- Snacks and coffee machine (none at the dorm)
- Cell phone (no phones or pay phones at the dorm)
- Bug spray
- All toiletry items (toothbrush, shampoo, etc.)
- Umbrella and rain gear
- Electrical adapters if traveling internationally